The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 17 July 2011
Fourth Sunday after Trinity
Psalm 139 says O Lord, you have searched me out and known me; you know my sitting down and my rising up; you discern my thoughts from afar. We come joyfully to meet with God, who knows us better than we know ourselves.
Our speaker today is Suzi Heybourne, Manager at the Magdalene Group, which is our chosen charity for July further details on our charity noticeboard. This Friday is the Feast Day of Mary Magdalene, and there will be a Mass at 10am at which we commemorate her.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the Celebration Hymnal
Introit Hymn 136 Come, ye thankful people come
Gospel acclamation Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Cantors We do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Matthew
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel Matthew 13.24-30, 36-43
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 524 O Father, take in sign of love
Communion Hymn 380 Lord, for tomorrow and its needs
Recessional Hymn 745 To God be the glory, great things he hath done!
Organ Voluntary Franck – Piece Heroique
Priest-in-Charge Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) d.thornton (email school term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) gill
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
Next Sunday’s readings: 1 Kings 3.5-12; Psalm 119.129-136; Romans 8.26-39; Matthew 13.31-33, 44-52
St Giles Church is twinned with the Scarrowbeck Group (Erpingham)
This service sheet is available week by week on https://stgileschurch.wordpress.com
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stJonathan Trench 2ndAnnie Blyth
Intercessions Sheila Spreadbury Chalice David Johnson
Servers Lindsey and Jonny Green
Churchwarden on duty Rowena Atkinson Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 19 July 8.30am Clergy Chapter at St George’s, Tombland
12 noon Said Mass Gregory, Bishop of Nyssa, and his sister Macrina, Deaconess and teacher of the faith President: Fr Alan Chidwick
7.30pm Bible Study at the vicarage see below for details
Wednesday 20 July 7.00pm Wedding rehearsal in church
Friday 22 July 10.00am Said Mass on this festival day of Mary Magdalene
2.00pm Wedding of John Lee and Alisha Giles
Sunday 24 July (Trinity 5) 10.30am Sung Parish Mass and Pastoral Visitation by the Archdeacon of Norwich. Preacher: the Ven Jan McFarlane. There will be wine after the Mass today.
- This week is UEA Congregation, so Fr. Darren will be at the university for most of the week at the graduation ceremonies. We remember in our prayers all students as they leave their studies, hoping to find employment and fulfilment in their careers.
- There will be a Bible Study evening at the vicarage this Tuesday. This little group aims to give people an opportunity to explore their faith and to share ideas and questions about scripture in a relaxed way, and in far greater depth than is possible, say, at coffee after Mass. Why not give it a go? – no previous experience of bible study necessary! Do contact Gill Persicke if you would like to come along, or if you’d like to know more about what we do at the group.
- I’ve been asked if I would produce again some thoughts of mine on ‘Living with Difference‘. You will find them on the back of this morning’s teaching flyer – Fr. Darren
- Please do try and come to Mass next Sunday, to meet the Archdeacon of Norwich, the Ven. Jan McFarlane. She is with us for our Pastoral Visitation, and is looking forward to meeting everyone.
- Holy Matrimony. Do pray for John and Alisha as they marry at St Giles this coming Friday.
- Date for the diary On Sunday 7 August, we welcome to St Giles, parishioners from our church link, the Scarrowbeck Group. Their Rector, Fr Brian Faulkner, will be preaching, and there will be wine and nibbles after the Mass, for us to meet our new friends. We will be visiting Erpingham on Sun 2 October. There will be a low Mass at St Giles on that Sunday, as we hope most people will be able to attend the Sung Mass at Erpingham (near Aylsham). More details nearer the time.
- We have for sale at the back of church copies of the 2012 St Giles Parish pocket diary. They are priced at 50p, and money can be placed in the wall safe. Our thanks to local businesses who have place an advert in the diary. Do purchase your pocket diary after Mass today.
- Copies of the current Across the See, the Film Club programme, the parish prayer calendar and the 2011 Church Calendar are all available at the back of church do help yourselves.
PRAYER THEMES FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
Ecumenism throughout our region, praying in particular for Norwich Central Churches Together, the Norwich Council of Christians and Jews, and Transforming Norwich
The Methodist Church, and District Chairman, Graham Thompson
The Diocese of Peru (South America), led by Bishop Harold Godfrey