The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 7 August 2011
Seventh Sunday after Trinity
Today, we hear how Jesus walks on the waters of Galilee to be with his disciples, struggling in the battering winds of a storm. We worship God, and thank him for his calming presence alongside us in all the difficulties we encounter in our daily lives.
Today’s Mass includes the ministry of healing, with the anointing of oil. If you wish to receive healing for yourself or for a loved one, please go and sit in the Lady Chapel after communion. Revd Gillian Ireson will be assisting with this ministry today.
A very warm welcome to our new friends from our Parish Link, the Scarrowbeck Group. Their Rector, Fr Brian Faulkner, is preaching this morning. There will be wine after today’s Mass, as we all get to know each other. St Giles will be visiting Erpingham Church on Sunday 2 October.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the New English Hymnal
Introit Hymn 354 Eternal Father, strong to save
Gospel acclamation Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Cantors The word of the Lord endures for ever; the word of the Lord is the good news announced to you.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Matthew
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel Matthew 14.22-33
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 433 O Worship the King
Communion Hymn 295 Let all mortal flesh keep silence
Recessional Hymn 427 O Praise ye the Lord!
Organ Voluntary Bach Prelude in C, BWV547
Priest-in-Charge Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) d.thornton (email term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) gill
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
Next Sunday’s readings: Revelation 11.19-12.6; Psalm 45.11-18; Galatians 4.4-7; Luke 1.46-55
St Giles Church is twinned with the Scarrowbeck Group (Erpingham)
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stCarole Hill 2ndRaymond Scott
Intercessions Carole Hill Chalice Pat Emsell
Servers Lindsey Green and Annie Blyth
Churchwarden on duty Bob Emsell Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 9 August 10.00am Home Communion Barbara Harper
12 noon Said Mass Mary Sumner, founder of Mothers’ Union, 1921
Wednesday 10 August Feast of St Lawrence, deacon & martyr, 258. Pray for St Lawrence, and for the church in our parish
Friday 12 August 10.00am Said Mass
Sunday 14 August 10.30am Sung Parish Mass to honour the Blessed Virgin Mary; with the St Giles Singers, who will be singing Mozart’s Coronation Mass, and music by Elgar & Arcadelt. Preacher: Fr. Desmond Tillyer. Celebratory glass of wine after the Mass.
- The Heritage Open Days are on 8-11 September, and the annual Norfolk Churches Trust cycle ride / sponsored walk is on Sat 10 September. Volunteers are needed to staff the church please do sign up on the list at the back of church. And if you would like to take part in the sponsored cycle ride / walk, please ask Fr Darren for a sponsorship form.
- We have received a lovely letter from the Pottergate Salvation Army Advice and Refreshment Centre, thanking us for our recent donation of tinned food. Do continue to bring tins in they are most valued.
- Inside your newsletter today is a poster about our Patronal weekend festival. Please do try and attend the St Giles Day evening Mass and our parish Fete. If you can display a poster, that would be great. Our new friends from the Scarrowbeck group are also most warmly invited!
- Our August charity is USPG Anglicans in World Mission further details can be found on our charity noticeboard.
- Summer is for many, if not the majority of, churches in this country a time of slowing down, when congregations become slightly smaller as people go away for breaks, and regular activities cease. Slowing down is very important particularly in a world which is full-on and moves at such a pace. During August, although I will be at most of the Masses, I am planning to take some respite to refresh and rebalance. As I have no UEA during August, it would seem a good month in which to do light duties. I hope you too will get a similar opportunity (in whatever way works for you) to slow down enough to receive all that God wants to give us. Happy vacation! Fr Darren
- Our 2012 St Giles Parish pocket diary is available at the back of church, price 50p; please put money in the wall safe. Our thanks to local businesses who have placed an advert in the diary.
- During the week of 22-27 August, we are planning to put on several small-scale prayer events in our Pitt Lane Prayer Room, to get the space prayed-in by us, the congregation. If you have a particular style of prayer which you would like included in the week, or if you would like to help organise or lead some prayer, please speak to Gill Persicke. Thank you!
- On 30 August at 7.30pm, there will be a Bible Study evening at the vicarage new members are always welcome, just let Gill Persicke know if you’re interested in giving it a try.
PRAYER THEMES FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
Our local health centres, dentists, opticians and alternative health practitioners
In the NCCT, Old Meeting Congregational Church
The Salvation Army, and Divisional Commander, Major David Jackson
The Diocese of Remo (Province of Lagos, Nigeria), led by Bishop Michael Fape