The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 12 February 2012
Second Sunday before Lent
In the beginning was the Word. Let us together praise and worship almighty God, creator of all things, through our Lord Jesus Christ.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the New English Hymnal.
Introit Hymn 377 Immortal, invisible, God only wise
Gospel acclamation Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Cantors Welcome with meekness the implanted word that has the power to save your souls.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel John 1.1-14
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 310 We hail thy presence glorious
Communion Hymn 315 Word of the Father, source of all things living
Recessional Hymn 439 Praise to the Holiest in the height
Organ voluntary Boellmann Toccata from Suite Gothique
Priest-in-Charge Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) d.thornton (email term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Parish Ordinand David Smith (training at Westcott House, Cambridge)
Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) gill
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
Next Sunday’s readings: 2 Kings 2.1-12; Psalm 50.1-6; 2 Corinthians 4.3-6; Mark 9.2-9
St Giles Church is twinned with the Scarrowbeck Group (Erpingham)
This service sheet is available week by week on https://stgileschurch.wordpress.com
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stJonathan Trench 2ndMargaret Wilkinson
Intercessions Annie Blyth Chalice Pat Dutton
Servers Lindsey and Jonny Green
Churchwarden on duty Bob Emsell Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 14 February 12 noon Said Mass – Cyril & Methodius, missionaries, 869 & 885
Thursday 16 February 7.15pm Deanery Synod at St Helens’. Our reps are Vikkie, Gill P. nd Fr Darren. Theme: the Anglican Covenant
Friday 17 February 10.00am Said Mass President: Revd Gillian Ireson Janani Luwum, Archbishop of Uganda, martyr, 1977
Saturday 18 February 9.45-3.00 Bishops’ Day of Prayer at the Cathedral, led by Bishop Martin Warner
7.15pm Beat the Blues Social Evening at Aldborough Churchrooms
Sunday 19 February 10.30am Sung Parish Mass Preacher: Fr Brian Short
- Ash Wednesday is on 22 February. If you have last year’s Palm Cross, please leave it in the post tray, to be made into the ash for the Imposition of Ashes. The evening Mass will be at 7pm.
- Wrong date on the 2012 Church Calendar! The National Pilgrimage at Walsingham is on Mon 4 June (not 28 May, as advertised), to accommodate HM the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. The concelebrated Mass (Abbey grounds) is at 12 noon; sermon, procession and Benediction at 2.30pm.
- Our link benefice have invited us to a Beat the Blues social evening this Saturday, 7.15 for 7.30pm, at Aldborough Churchrooms (on Aldborough Green). Tickets £12.50, for a home-cooked meal & entertainment. It’d be great if a number of us could attend to meet our new friends. Tickets from Fr Darren. If you are going and have spare seats, do let Father know. Thank you.
- Christian meditation/contemplative prayer. There will be a short meeting after Mass today, to discuss the possibility of starting a group at St Giles – do come along to hear more!
- Our February charity – the mission & ministry of Norwich Cathedral see charity noticeboard.
- Walsingham Bible Week: The Profound Mystery – Christ and his Church: exploring the letter to the Ephesians. Mon 29 Oct to Fri 2 Nov. Speak to Fr Darren if you are interested.
- As we are experimenting with producing this newsletter two weeks’ worth at a time, once a fortnight, please be sure to submit any contributions to Gill P. as early as possible. Thank you.
- Donations towards the appeal for the West Porch sculptures would be most gratefully received please speak to our treasurer, John Baldry.
- Are you interested in being confirmed? The next opportunity is at the Easter Vigil in the Cathedral, with the Lord Bishop of Norwich. Please speak to Fr Darren if you are interested.
- Inside your newsletter today is a Christian Aid Count your Blessings sheet, to help you make Lent count by supporting some of the poorest communities in the world. Come Easter, your accumulated donations can be passed on to our Christian Aid rep, Lindsey Green. Thank you.
- The company that supplies our Church Diaries relies on advertising to keep down the cost of the diaries, and works hard contacting local businesses. They are always looking for more subscribers, so if anybody can suggest any firms/businesses etc that may be willing to support St Giles by buying space, please contact Rowena, who will pass on the details to the diary company.
PRAYER THEMES FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
Norwich University College of Art its staff and students, and all who visit for exhibitions
In the NCCT, Princes Street United Reformed Church
The Roman Catholic Church and the Diocese of East Anglia.
Archdeacon David’s farewell service, giving thanks for his faithful ministry in our Diocese