The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 26 February 2012
First Sunday of Lent
Before Jesus had begun his ministry, God called him beloved Son. God calls us all his beloved children, whether or not we have done anything remarkable. In our worship today, let us respond to God’s overwhelming love for each one of us.
There is a retiring collection today, and every Sunday during Lent, to support Water Aid and the Diocesan Lent Appeal. Please give generously.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the New English Hymnal.
Introit Hymn 507 Hear us, O Lord, have mercy upon us
Gospel acclamation Praise to you, O Christ, King of eternal glory
Cantors The Lord is a great God, O that you would listen to his voice; harden not your hearts.
Praise to you, O Christ, King of eternal glory
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Mark
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel Mark 1.9-15
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 302 O Thou, who at thy Eucharist didst pray
Communion Hymn 276 Bread of heaven, on thee we feed
Recessional Hymn 67 Forty days and forty nights
Organ voluntary Bach Christus, der uns selig macht
Priest-in-Charge Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) d.thornton (email term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Parish Ordinand David Smith (training at Westcott House, Cambridge)
Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) gill
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
Next Sunday’s readings: Genesis 17.1-7, 15-16; Psalm 22.22-30; Romans 4.13-25; Mark 8.31-38
St Giles Church is twinned with the Scarrowbeck Group (Erpingham)
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stSheila Spreadbury 2ndPat Wensley
Intercessions Vikkie Shread Chalice Carole Hill
Servers Susan Morris-Prosser and Vikkie Shread
Churchwarden on duty Bob Emsell Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 28 February 9.30am Home Communion Barbara Harper
12 noon Said Mass
Friday 2 March 10.00am Said Mass
7.30pm Film Club see below for details
Sunday 4 March (Second Sunday of Lent) 10.30am Sung Mass with the ministry of healing by Fr Brian Short
- It is that time of year when we need to update our Electoral Roll. If you are already on the roll and your details haven’t changed, you need do nothing! But if your details have changed over the year, please do let our ER Officer know. If you are new to St Giles and would like to become an official member of our church, then you need to fill in an ER form, and return it to ER Officer, Carole Hill, by Sat 31 March. (The Roll is held by Fr Darren, our Parish Reader,our churchwardens and Carole Hill it is not in the public domain)
- Those submitting APCM reports should leave them for Fr Darren in the post tray. Today is the deadline! Thank you.
- Women’s World Day of Prayer Praying for Malaysia, at 11.00am, Fri 2 March, at St Barnabas Church, Russell Street. Details from Rev Elsie Hutcheon, on 01603 627859.
- It is hoped that the work on the tower to repair the louvres will be completed during the month of March. It will be nice to hear the bells again, and have the car parking space returned to normal.
- The Feb/March edition of Across the See plus prayer calendar available at the back of church.
- Missed a Sunday? Then you didn’t receive the 2012 Lent leaflet available at back of church.
- Lent Giving traditionally, Lent is a time for almsgiving. Each Sunday during Lent, there will be a retiring offertory that will be split between the Diocesan Lent Appeal and the Water Aid Lent Appeal. Please do remember your Lent offerings next week to place in the retiring collection.
- Our February charity – the mission & ministry of Norwich Cathedral see charity noticeboard.
- As we are experimenting with producing this newsletter two weeks’ worth at a time, once a fortnight, please be sure to submit any contributions to Gill P. as early as possible. Thank you.
- Donations towards the appeal for the West Porch sculptures would be most gratefully received please speak to our treasurer, John Baldry.
- Are you interested in being confirmed? The next opportunity is at the Easter Vigil in the Cathedral, with the Lord Bishop of Norwich. Please speak to Fr Darren if you are interested.
- The company that supplies our Church Diaries relies on advertising to keep down the cost of the diaries, and works hard contacting local businesses. They are always looking for more subscribers, so if anybody can suggest any firms/businesses etc that may be willing to support St Giles by buying space, please contact Rowena, who will pass on the details to the diary company.
- Film Club this week is showing Way out West (1937), a wonderful Golden Oldie comedy Western starring Laurel & Hardy. Why not come along for a great film, and some good company?
PRAYER THEMES FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
Youth projects throughout our region, remembering the work of the Mancroft Advisory project
In the NCCT, the Salvation Army
The Baptist Church, led by Regional Minister, Richard Lewis
The Anglican Province of Congo, led by Archbishop Henri Isingoma