The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 11 March 2012
Third Sunday of Lent
In our worship today, we shall see another aspect of Jesus’ ministry as he cleanses the Temple in Jerusalem.
There is a retiring collection today, and every Sunday during Lent, to support Water Aid and the Diocesan Lent Appeal. Please give generously.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the New English Hymnal.
Introit Hymn 507 Hear us, O Lord, have mercy upon us
Gospel acclamation Praise to you, O Christ, King of eternal glory
Cantors The Lord is a great God, O that you would listen to his voice; harden not your hearts.
Praise to you, O Christ, King of eternal glory
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel John 2.13-22
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 65 Christian, dost thou see them
Communion Hymn 63 All ye who seek a comfort sure
Recessional Hymn 70 Lord Jesus, think on me
Organ voluntary Bach O Lamm Gottes, unschuldig
Priest-in-Charge Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) d.thornton (email term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Parish Ordinand David Smith (training at Westcott House, Cambridge)
Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) gill
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
Next Sunday’s readings: Exodus 2.1-10; Psalm 127.1-4; Colossians 3.12-17; John 19.25b-27
St Giles Church is twinned with the Scarrowbeck Group (Erpingham)
This service sheet is available week by week on https://stgileschurch.wordpress.com
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stCharlotte Ellerby 2ndAnnie Blyth
Intercessions John Baldry Chalice Jonny Green
Servers Annie Blyth and Ben Shread
Churchwarden on duty Rowena Atkinson Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 13 March 12 noon Said Mass President: Fr Brian Short
Friday 16 March 10.00am Said Mass
Sunday 18 March (Mothering Sunday) 10.30am Sung Mass, to include the distribution of posies our thanks go to Annie for the posies, made in memory of her mother
- On the table at the back of church are nomination forms for the APCM. We have 3 vacancies on the PCC, nominations to be received by Sun 25 March. There are also forms for churchwardens & deputies (if you’re considering nominating yourself for these posts, do speak to Fr Darren first).
- Perhaps you would like to remember someone special at Easter time by giving £3 to buy an Easter Lily or giving a donation towards the Flower Fund. Please see either John Baldry or Averil.
- Please note that all vehicles are parked in the churchyard at the owner’s risk. Our Churchwardens will be happy to explain if you need further clarification.
- Advance notice the next Bible Study at the vicarage is on Tuesday 24th April. The group is open to everyone please do speak to Reader Gill if you’d like to know more.
- Inside your newsletter today is a leaflet about the Diocesan Lent appeal. Please do take it home to commit to your prayers. Donations can be placed in the retiring collection bowl at the end of Mass.
- Our March charity is The Matthew Project – see charity display board for more information.
- Date for the diary the Dennis Light Orchestra have confirmed that they will be performing at our annual Wisteria Concert, on Friday11 May at 7.30pm do make a note of the date!
- We are currently updating our Electoral Roll. If you are already on it and your details haven’t changed, you need do nothing! But if your details have changed, please let our ER Officer know. If you are new to St Giles and wish to become an official member of our church, then please fill in an ER form, and return it to ER Officer, Carole Hill, by Sat 31 March. (The Roll is held by Fr Darren, our Parish Reader,our churchwardens and Carole Hill it is not in the public domain)
- Please do continue to put tins for the Salvation Army collection into the box in the Tower Vestry!
- Open Church as spring approaches, it would be wonderful if the church could be open a bit more, (especially at the weekend). If you might be able to help, have a word with Fr, Darren.
- Are you interested in being confirmed? The next opportunity is at the Easter Vigil in the Cathedral, with the Lord Bishop of Norwich. Please speak to Fr Darren if you are interested.
- Link benefice news . . . following the splendid Beat the Blues Evening with our friends from the Scarrowbeck Group, we have invited them to our Salvation Army appeal Christmas Quiz. In the summer, we will meet up to worship together see 2012 Calendar. Please do remember to pray for Fr Brian Faulkner and our link parishes.
- Next Saturday, 17 March, Norwich Diocesan Synod is taking a very important vote, on the proposed Anglican covenant. Please read the information sheet enclosed with this newsletter to find out more, and pray that God may guide all those voting on this issue.
PRAYER THEMES FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
Pubs and restaurants throughout our region
In the NCCT, St George Colegate
The Salvation Army, and Divisional Commander, Major David Jackson
The Anglican Church of Hong Kong, led by Archbishop Paul Kwong