Apologies for the late posting of this service sheet.
The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 11 August 2013
The Blessed Virgin Mary
Rejoice in the Lord always, and again, I say, rejoice!
Worship is always a time for rejoicing. But today there’s an especially good reason. We thank God for the Holy Mass. Let us never forget that the Mass must be for us the outward expression of an inward reality.
We welcome the St Giles Singers, who will be singing Mozart’s Coronation Mass, the “Ave Maria” by Arcadelt, and “The Lord is my Shepherd” by Howard Goodall. Please do join us for a celebratory glass of wine after our Festival Mass. As we celebrate, let us remember Mary, who was the one who came closest to God.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the Celebration Hymnal.
Introit Hymn Sheet Joy to thee Queen! within thine ancient dowry
Gospel acclamation Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Cantors Mary has been taken up into heaven; all the choirs of the angels are rejoicing.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Luke
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel Luke 1.46-55
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 300 Immaculate Mary, our hearts are on fire
Communion Hymn 263 Holy Virgin, by God’s decree
Recessional Hymn Sheet Hail Holy Queen enthroned above
Organ Voluntary Buxtehude – Prelude, Fugue and Chaconne in C
Rector Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) – d.thornton (email
term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA – day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) – gill
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
Next Sunday’s readings: Jeremiah 23.23-29; Psalm 82; Hebrews 11.29-12.2; Luke 12.49-56
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stDavid Bambridge 2ndNigel Simpson
Intercessions David Bambridge Chalice Carole Hill
Servers Susan Morris-Prosser, David Johnson, Carol Cullum, Lindsey Green
Churchwarden on duty Bob Emsell Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 13 August 12 noon Said Mass
Thursday 15 August 5.00pm Meditation Group
Friday 16 August 10.00am Said Mass – President: our Rector – the induction of our Rector into the Parish Church by the Archdeacon of Norwich
12.15pm Burial of Ashes of Tony Reeve Holmes (Earlham). We pray for Hannah. May Tony rest in peace.
Sunday 18 August (Trinity 12) 10.30am Sung Parish Mass – Preacher: our Reader, Gill
- The Archdeacon of Norwich, the Venerable Jan McFarlane, will be visiting St Giles this Friday (Said Mass at 10am) to induct our Rector into the Parish Church. All are very welcome. Archdeacon Jan leaves Norwich shortly after this, as she has been seconded to Lambeth Palace to become the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Press and Media Officer for 3 months. Archdeacon Jan will be back amongst us in the New Year.
- Our annual fete is on Saturday 31 August, from 11am till 3pm. There will be a list at the back of church for people to sign if they can help on the day (even if you can only spare half an hour to relieve stall holders, that would be great); and new ideas for stalls at the fete would be gratefully received. Also, any donations of cakes, good bric-a-brac, books, costume jewellery or raffle prizes would be much appreciated. And of course, do come along, bringing lots of friends and relatives!
- The next opportunity for confirmation is on Sat 9 November at 11 am at the Cathedral. If you haven’t been confirmed and are interested, do have a chat with the Rector.
- Our journey with the West Pottergate estate – if you would like to be part of a small group to discuss / pray about this part of our Parish, then please do sign the list at the back of church.
- An urgent appeal from the Salvation Army – donations of food have diminished recently (perhaps because people are giving to Food Banks instead?), and they are running very short of food for homeless people, who cannot access Food Banks. So please continue to put donations of tins into the box in the Tower Vestry – your help has never been so greatly needed. Thank you!
- Our August charity is Emmaus, Ditchingham. Fr. Simon Ward, the Bishop of Norwich’s Chaplain, and Trustee of Emmaus, is our preacher at the St Giles Patronal Festival on Sunday 1 September. He will be telling us more about Emmaus then.
- The Heritage Open Days are on Thurs 12 – Sun 15 September, and the Norfolk Churches Trust annual cycle ride and walk is on Sat 14 September, 9am-5pm. Volunteers are needed to staff the church – please do sign up on the list at the back of church.
- And anyone who would like to take part in the ride/walk should ask Fr. Darren for a sponsorship form. The money you raise is split between the Trust and St Giles.
- Our 2014 Parish share request, based on the new Diocesan formula, will be £20,514 (calculation based on a part-time Priest). That’s an increase of £2,669 from this year’s figure. We need your help! Our Treasurer, John Baldry, has asked if we could all review our giving to St Giles.
- The next Bible Study will be in church at 7.30pm on Wednesday 21 August, when we’ll be looking at prophecy in the New Testament. Do speak to Gill Persicke if you’d like to know more.
PRAYER THEMES FOR THE WEEK AHEAD – The Norwich University College of Art, its students, staff, and all who visit exhibitions there; in the NCCT, Princes Street United Reformed Church; the Salvation Army, and Divisional Commander, Major David Jackson