The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 18 August 2013
Twelfth Sunday after Trinity
On this, the twelfth Sunday after Trinity, we gather together, seeking to abide in Christ as he abides in us.
Our preacher today is our Parish Reader, Gill.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the New English Hymnal.
Introit Hymn 226 Hark! the sound of holy voices
Gospel acclamation Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Cantors Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening; you have the words of eternal life.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Luke
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel Luke 12.49-56
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 302 O Thou, who at thy Eucharist didst pray
Communion Hymn 313 Wherefore, O Father, we thy humble servants
Recessional Hymn 440 Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation
Organ Voluntary Clerambaut – Caprice from Suite du Deuxieme Ton
Rector Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) – d.thornton (email
term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA – day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) – gill
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
Next Sunday’s readings: Isaiah 58.9-14; Psalm 103.1-8; Hebrews 12.18-29; Luke 13.10-17
St Giles Church is twinned with the Scarrowbeck Group (Erpingham)
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stAnnie Blyth 2ndBrian Short
Intercessions John Baldry Chalice Carol Cullum
Servers Susan Morris-Prosser and Vikkie Shread
Churchwarden on duty Bob Emsell Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 20 August 12 noon Said Mass President: Fr. Brian Short
Bernard, Abbot of Clairvaux, 1153
Wednesday 21 August 7.30pm Bible Study (in the church) – see below for details
Friday 23 August 10.00am Said Mass President: Revd Gillian Ireson
Sunday 25 August (Trinity 13) 10.30am Sung Parish Mass with the baptism of Solomon Huxley Reeds. Celebratory glass of wine after the Mass.
12 noon 10th Anniversary Wedding Blessing for Neil & Jane Reeds
- Fr. Darren is away mid-week – many thanks to those who are providing cover.
- Norwich Interfaith Link – a guided walk around Norwich, exploring historical places of significance for people of faith, led by Chris Wood. Starts by meeting at the Edith Cavell war memorial in Tombland, Tues 20 August, at 7pm. All are most welcome.
- Saturday 21 September – The Bishop of Norwich has invited all within the Diocese to join him on a Diocesan pilgrimage to Walsingham. More details are on the Diocesan website. St John’s Timberhill have spare places on their coach – do contact Fr. Frank at Timberhill for more details.
- Our annual fete is on Saturday 31 August, from 11am till 3pm. There is a list at the back of church for people to sign if they can help on the day (even if you can only spare half an hour to relieve stall holders, that would be great); and new ideas for stalls at the fete would be gratefully received. Also, any donations of cakes, good bric-a-brac, books, costume jewellery or raffle prizes would be much appreciated. And of course, do come along, bringing lots of friends and relatives!
- The next opportunity for confirmation is on Sat 9 November at 11 am at the Cathedral. If you haven’t been confirmed and are interested, do have a chat with the Rector.
- Our journey with the West Pottergate estate – if you would like to be part of a small group to discuss / pray about this part of our Parish, then please do sign the list at the back of church.
- An urgent appeal from the Salvation Army – donations of food have diminished recently, and they are running very short of food for homeless people, who cannot access Food Banks. So please continue to put tins into the box in the Tower Vestry – your help has never been so greatly needed.
- Our August charity is Emmaus, Ditchingham. Fr. Simon Ward, the Bishop of Norwich’s Chaplain, and Trustee of Emmaus, is our preacher at the St Giles Patronal Festival on Sunday 1 September. He will be telling us more about Emmaus then.
- Please sign up, at the back of church, to staff the church for the Heritage Open Days (Thurs 12 – Sun 15 Sept), & the Norfolk Churches Trust annual cycle ride & walk (Sat 14 Sep, 9am-5pm)!
- And anyone who would like to take part in the ride/walk should ask Fr. Darren for a sponsorship form. The money you raise is split between the Trust and St Giles.
- Our 2014 Parish share request is £20,514, an increase of £2,669 on this year’s figure. We need your help! Our Treasurer, John Baldry, has asked if we could all review our giving to St Giles.
- Wednesday’s Bible Study will be in church at 7.30pm, when we’ll be looking at prophecy in the New Testament. Do speak to Gill Persicke if you’d like to know more – why not give it a try?
PRAYER THEMES FOR THE WEEK AHEAD – The Citizen’s Advice Bureau; in the NCCT, the Religious Society of Friends, and Area Representative, John Myhill; the Diocese of Rio de Janeiro, led by Bishop Filadelfo Oliviera Neto