The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 1 September 2013
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news;
he has sent me to proclaim release to the oppressed
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.
The Mass today includes the blessing of herbs to symbolise that St Giles lived on herbs whilst living in the wilderness. Please do take some herbs home and make something beautiful from them to share with someone else.
Our preacher today is the Chaplain of the Lord Bishop of Norwich, Fr. Simon Ward. Fr. Simon is a Trustee of Emmaus Norfolk, and is going to tell us more about their work.
Today’s Mass includes the ministry of healing, with the anointing of oil. If you wish to receive healing for yourself or for a loved one, please go and sit in the Lady Chapel after communion. Revd. Gillian Ireson will be assisting with this ministry today.
There is a celebratory glass of wine after Mass, and a fun auction to help raise some funds for the church, further to yesterday’s Fete. We hope the auction will be a bit of fun, and you might even pick up a bargain!
The hymns, collect, psalm and readings for today’s Mass are all set out in the white Patronal Mass service sheet.
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stPat Wensley 2ndDiana Lamb
Intercessions Vikkie Shread Chalice Pat Emsell
Servers David Johnson, Lindsey Green, Susan Morris-Prosser, Annie Blyth and Vikkie Shread
Churchwarden on duty Rowena Atkinson Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 3 September 12 noon Said Mass President Fr. Brian Short
Gregory the Great, Bishop of Rome, 604
Thursday 5 September 5.00pm Meditation Group in our prayer room – all are welcome
Friday 6 September 10.00am Said Mass President Fr. Darren
Allen Gardiner, S.A.M.S., 1851
8.00pm Film Club
Sunday 8 September (Trinity 15) 10.30am Sung Parish Mass – Preacher: our Reader, Gill Persicke
- Our charitable giving for September supports Sight Savers – more details on our charity noticeboard.
- All are very welcome to the Meditation Group this Thursday (entrance through Priest’s door, from 4.45 onwards). No previous experience is needed; please talk to Gill Persicke if you’d like more information about what we do!
- A big “thank you” to all who made the fete yesterday such a successful day. We hope to tell you how much has been raised so far during the Churchwardens’ Notices today.
- Would you like to receive an email copy of the newsletter as soon as it is produced? This can be easily set up by going to the church website and clicking onto the newsletter page. At the bottom, you will find a box called FOLLOW. Simply click on this, and give your email details, then you will get the newsletter electronically each week! Any problems – please speak to Raymond Scott.
- The next opportunity for confirmation is on Sat 9 November at 11 am at the Cathedral. If you haven’t been confirmed and are interested, do have a chat with the Rector.
- Our journey with the West Pottergate estate – if you would like to be part of a small group to discuss / pray about this part of our Parish, then please do sign the list at the back of church.
- An urgent appeal from the Salvation Army – donations of food have diminished recently, and they are running very short of food for homeless people, who cannot access Food Banks. So please continue to put tins into the box in the Tower Vestry – your help has never been so greatly needed.
- Please sign up, at the back of church, to staff the church for the Heritage Open Days (Thurs 12 – Sun 15 Sept), & the Norfolk Churches Trust annual cycle ride & walk (Sat 14 Sep, 9am-5pm)!
- And anyone who would like to take part in the ride/walk should ask Fr. Darren for a sponsorship form. The money you raise is split between the Trust and St Giles.
- Our 2014 Parish share request is £20,514, an increase of £2,669 on this year’s figure. We need your help! Our Treasurer, John Baldry, has asked if we could all review our giving to St Giles.
- Sunday 15 September is our Harvest Festival Mass, at 10.30am. Please bring your Harvest offerings, which will be presented during the singing of the first hymn. The offerings will be given to the Salvation Army Pottergate ARC. They can use whatever food items we give them, be they fresh or tinned food.
- And the Harvest Festival Mass will be followed by our Harvest Bring-and-Share lunch. Do sign the list at the back of church, indicating what you can bring.
- Saturday 21 September – The Bishop of Norwich has invited all within the Diocese to join him on a Diocesan pilgrimage to Walsingham. More details are on the Diocesan website. St John’s Timberhill have spare places on their coach – do contact Fr. Frank at Timberhill for more details.
- Don’t forget to pray for our Parish, using the yellow Parish Prayer Calendar. Copies are available for collection at the back of church. Use the calendar every day to pray for a particular road or agency within the parish, and to hold the people involved before God.
- A number of people have asked about funeral plans. A form which enables you to record your wishes for your funeral is available at the back of the church. When completed, return your form to the Rector.
- Film Club is this Friday! Look out for more publicity about the film . . .
- PRAYER THEMES FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
- Theatres and cinemas throughout our region, and the Norfolk and Norwich Music Festival
- In the NCCT, St Andrew’s Church
- The Methodist Church, and District Chairman, Graham Thompson
- The Diocese of Saldanha Bay (Southern Africa), led by Bishop Raphael Hess
- Priest-in-Charge Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) – d.thornton (email
- term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA – day off on Monday
- Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
- Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) –gill
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
- Next Sunday’s readings: Deuteronomy 30.15-20; Psalm 1; Philemon 1-21; Luke 14.25-33
- St Giles Church is twinned with the Scarrowbeck Group (Erpingham)