The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 25 August 2013
Thirteenth Sunday after Trinity
God calls us to approach Mount Zion, the city of the living God. Let us come before God today with our worship, our praise and our thanksgiving.
Today’s Mass includes the Baptism of Solomon Huxley Reeds – we welcome Solomon’s family and friends. As a sign of the unity of all Christians, baptism is a bond with Jesus Christ, the foundation of this unity. Do stay for a glass of wine after the Mass.
At 12 noon, Neil and Jane Reeds celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary with a wedding blessing. All are welcome to attend.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the New English Hymnal.
Introit Hymn 316 Sing to the Lord glad hymns of praise
Gospel acclamation Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Cantors Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening; you have the words of eternal life.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Luke
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel Luke 13.10-17
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 137 Come down, O love divine
Communion Hymn 387 Jesus, good above all other
Recessional Hymn 415 O for a thousand tongues to sing
Organ Voluntary Bach – Prelude in G Major BWV541
Rector Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) – d.thornton (email
term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA – day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) – gill
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
Next Sunday’s readings: Isaiah 58.6-11; Psalm 112; Hebrews 13.1-3; Matthew 5.1-12
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stCarol Cullum 2ndRaymond Scott
Chalice Jonny Green
Servers Lindsey and Jonny Green
Churchwarden on duty Bob Emsell Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 27 August 12 noon Said Mass President: Fr. Brian Short
Monica, mother of Augustine of Hippo, 387
Thursday 29 August 6.00pm Evening Prayer, preceded by tolling of curfew bell
Friday 30 August 10.00am Said Mass President: Revd Gillian Ireson
Saturday 31 August 11am-3pm St Giles annual Fete – see below for details
Sunday 1 September 10.30am St Giles Patronal Festival – preacher: Fr. Simon Ward. Mass includes Healing, and blessing of the herbs. There will be a celebratory glass of wine and an auction after Mass.
- Fr. Darren is away mid-week – many thanks to those who are providing cover.
- Our annual fete is on Saturday, from 11am till 3pm. There is a list at the back of church for people to sign if they can help on the day (even if you can only spare half an hour to relieve stall holders, that would be great); and new ideas for stalls at the fete would be gratefully received. Also, any donations of cakes, good bric-a-brac, books, costume jewellery or raffle prizes would be much appreciated. And of course, do come along, bringing lots of friends and relatives!
- Next Sunday is our Patronal Festival. There will be a fun auction after Mass, to raise money for church funds over a celebratory glass of wine. Please do bring some extra cash along to church for the auction – you might just pick up a bargain! The Mass will include the blessing of the herbs.
- Next week, there will be a list at the back of church for you to sign indicating what you could bring to our Harvest Bring-and-Share Lunch, following the Festival service on Sun 15 September. We hope you can join us.
- The next opportunity for confirmation is on Sat 9 November at 11 am at the Cathedral. If you haven’t been confirmed and are interested, do have a chat with the Rector.
- Our journey with the West Pottergate estate – if you would like to be part of a small group to discuss / pray about this part of our Parish, then please do sign the list at the back of church.
- An urgent appeal from the Salvation Army – donations of food have diminished recently, and they are running very short of food for homeless people, who cannot access Food Banks. So please continue to put tins into the box in the Tower Vestry – your help has never been so greatly needed.
- Our August charity is Emmaus, Ditchingham. Fr. Simon Ward, the Bishop of Norwich’s Chaplain, and Trustee of Emmaus, is our preacher at the St Giles Patronal Festival next Sunday, and he will be telling us more about Emmaus then.
- The Heritage Open Days are on Thurs 12 – Sun 15 September, and the Norfolk Churches Trust annual cycle ride and walk is on Sat 14 September, 9am-5pm. Volunteers are needed to staff the church – please do sign up on the list at the back of church.
- And anyone who would like to take part in the ride/walk should ask Fr. Darren for a sponsorship form. The money you raise is split between the Trust and St Giles.
- Our 2014 Parish share request is £20,514, an increase of £2,669 on this year’s figure. We need your help! Our Treasurer, John Baldry, has asked if we could all review our giving to St Giles.
PRAYER THEMES FOR THE WEEK AHEAD – Youth projects throughout our region; in the NCCT, the Salvation Army; the Roman Catholic Church in the Diocese of East Anglia, and Bishop Alan Hopes; the Diocese of Ruaha (Tanzania), led by Bishop Joseph Mgomi