The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 2 March 2014
Sunday next before Lent
We come to worship the God who transfigures our lives and enables us to talk to him, face to face. Let us come into God’s presence with confidence and joy.
Today’s Mass includes the ministry of healing, with the anointing of oil. If you wish to receive healing for yourself or for a loved one, please go and sit in the Lady Chapel after communion. Revd. Gillian Ireson will be assisting with this ministry today.
The Mass also includes the Baptism of Rory Magnus Baulcombe – we welcome Rory’s family and friends. As a sign of the unity of all Christians, baptism is a bond with Jesus Christ, the foundation of this unity. We welcome Rory into the household of Christian faith.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the New English Hymnal.
Introit Hymn 178 ‘Tis good, Lord, to be here!
Gospel acclamation Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Cantors I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, says the Lord; no-one comes to the Father except by me.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Matthew
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel Matthew 17.1-9
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Procession to font “Water of Life”
Offertory Hymn 137 Come down, O Love divine
Communion Hymn 378 Immortal love for ever full
Recessional Hymn 234 Christ, whose glory fills the skies
Organ voluntary Gigout – Toccata
Rector Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) – firstname.lastname@example.org (email term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA – day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) – email@example.com
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
Next Sunday’s readings: Genesis 2.15-17, 3.1-7; Psalm 32; Romans 5.12-19; Matthew 4.1-11
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stRaymond Scott 2ndGill Persicke
Servers Lindsey and Jonny Green Chalice Charlotte Ellerby
Churchwarden on duty Bob Emsell Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 4 March 9.00am Home Communion – Barbara Harper
12 noon Said Mass President: Revd Maggie Diffey
7.30pm Bible Study at the Rectory
Wednesday 5 March (Ash Wednesday) 7.00pm Sung Mass with the imposition of ashes. Preacher: our Parish Reader, Gill. Join us to start the season of Lent.
Thursday 6 March 5.00pm Meditation (entrance to church via Priest’s door)
Friday 7 March 10.00am Said Mass – Perpetua, Felicity and their companions, 203
7.30pm Film Club – see below for detaills
Sunday 9 March (Lent 1) 10.30am Sung Parish Mass with retiring collection
- A big “Thank You” to all who supported the coffee morning yesterday, and particularly to Elsie for organising it. We hope to tell you how much was raised during Churchwardens’ notices today.
- Inside your newsletter today is a copy of the Lenten Christian Aid “Count Your Blessings” project. Please do use it during Lent, and return your money to our Christian Aid rep, Lindsey Green, at the end of Lent. Christian Aid supports some of the poorest communities in the world.
- Do you consider yourself to be a “member” of St Giles Church? Are you on our church Electoral Roll? If you have worshipped with us for longer than 6 months and are not on our membership list, then do ask our ER Officer, Dr. Carole Hill, for a form so that your name can be added. If you are not sure if you are on our ER, then do check with Carole. The deadline for new names to be added is Sunday 16 March. The final number on our new ER will be presented at the APCM. (If you are on the Roll and any of your details have changed, then do speak to Carole)
- Do leave last year’s Palm Crosses in the post tray for Fr. Darren to make ash for Ash Wednesday.
- The APCM is on Sunday 6 April at 12 noon, and will be followed by a lunch at Loch Fyne. Details about the lunch and the form to sign up can be found at the back of church.
- At the back of the church are nomination forms for the APCM. We have two vacancies on the PCC and two vacancies on the Deanery Synod – nominations to be received by Sun 16 March. There are also forms for Churchwardens and deputies (if you are considering nominating yourself for these posts, please do speak to Fr. Darren first).
- Spare copies of the 2014 Lent leaflet are available at the back of church – do take one home.
- Traditionally, Lent is a time for almsgiving. Each Sunday during Lent, there will be a retiring collection that will be split between Water Aid and the street children in the slums of India. Please place your offerings in the collection bowl on Ash Wednesday or the Sundays in Lent. Thank you.
- Our March charity is the Madurai slums in India, which Fr. Darren will be visiting during his sabbatical later this year.
- There is a Bible Study this Tuesday at the Rectory at 7.30pm, looking at biblical accounts of the Last Supper and our understanding of the Eucharist. Do speak to Gill Persicke if you’re interested.
- This Wednesday, Ash Wednesday – Evening Mass at 7pm, with the imposition of ashes.
- Film Club on Friday is showing “The Chorus” (2005): “The new teacher at a strictly administered boarding school works to positively effect the boys’ lives through music”. Do come along!
- Our March charity is the Madurai slums in India and Fr. Darren’s visit during his sabbatical later in the year.
- The next opportunity for confirmation is in the Cathedral on Easter Eve (Sat 19 April), by the Lord Bishop of Norwich. If you are interested in confirmation, do speak to Fr. Darren asap!