The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 23 February 2014
Second Sunday before Lent
“O Lord, our sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth”. We give thanks and praise that in this service, the God of all creation comes amongst us and makes himself know in the simple sacrament of bread and wine.
Our preacher today is our Parish Reader, Gill Persicke.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the New English Hymnal.
Introit Hymn 237 Morning has broken
Psalm 136.1-9, 23-26
Gospel acclamation Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Cantors We do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Matthew
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel Matthew 6.25-34
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 365 God moves in a mysterious way
Communion Hymn 337 As pants the hart for cooling streams
Recessional Hymn 405 Lord of the boundless curves of space
Organ voluntary Bach – Fantasia in C (BWV570)
Rector Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) – firstname.lastname@example.org (email term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA – day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Reader & Newsletter Gill Persicke (01603 621777) – email@example.com
Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
Next Sunday’s readings: Exodus 24.12-end; Psalm 99; 2 Peter 1.16-21; Matthew 17.1-9
PRAYER THEMES FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
Local youth projects, including the work of the YMCA and the Mancroft Advice Project
In the NCCT, the Salvation Army
The Baptist Church, and Regional Minister Richard Lewis
The Anglican Church of Central America, led by Bishop Armandio Guerra Soria
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1stMavis Jacobs 2ndCharlotte Ellerby
Intercessions Vikkie Shread Chalice Carole Hill
Servers Annie Blyth and David Johnson
Churchwarden on duty Rowena Atkinson Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 25 February 12 noon Noon Prayers, led by Carol Cullum
Thursday 27 February 5.00pm Evening Prayer at 42 Havelock Road (please note early time)
7.15pm Norwich East Deanery Synod at St Matthew’s, Thorpe Hamlet – our reps are Vikkie Shread and Gill Persicke
Friday 28 February 10.00am Said Mass President: Fr. Brian Short
Saturday 1 March 10-1 Coffee morning in church; Canon Pat Atkinson will be speaking on her work in India
Sunday 2 March (Sunday next before Lent) 10.30am Sung Parish Mass with healing ministry by Revd Gillian Ireson, and the baptism of Rory Magnus Baulcombe (son of Ralph and Cherry)
- Fr. Darren will be away mid-week on a course – many thanks to those providing cover.
- Do you consider yourself to be a “member” of St Giles Church? Are you on our church Electoral Roll? If you have worshipped with us for longer than 6 months and are not on our membership list, then do ask our ER Officer, Dr. Carole Hill, for a form so that your name can be added. If you are not sure if you are on our ER, then do check with Carole. The deadline for new names to be added is Sunday 16 March. The final number on our new ER will be presented at the APCM. (If you are on the Roll and any of your details have changed, then do speak to Carole)
- The APCM is on Sunday 6 April at 12 noon, and will be followed by a lunch at Loch Fyne. Details about the lunch, and the form to sign up, can be found at the back of church.
- At the back of the church are nomination forms for theAPCM. We have two vacancies on the PCC and two vacancies on the Deanery Synod – nominations to be received by Sun 16 March. There are also forms for Churchwardens and deputies (if you are considering nominating yourself for these posts, please do speak to Fr. Darren first).
- Today is the deadline for those submitting reports for the 2013 APCM booklet. If you still need to write yours, it needs to be at the Rectory by 5pm tomorrow, ready for printing on Tuesday morning.
- A big “thank you” to those who have purchased food vouchers from the All Saints’ Centre and passed them on to me. Your very kind donations amount to well over £125 – brilliant! Those who call at the Rectory seeking help will benefit from the wonderful ministry at All Saints. Fr. Darren
- The next Bible Study will be on Shrove Tuesday, 4 March, at the Rectory at 7.30pm. We’ll be looking at the biblical accounts of the Last Supper and linking them to how we understand the Eucharist. Do speak to Gill Persicke if you’re interested in joining the group. And, on Ash Wednesday, 5 March, there will be an Evening Mass at 7pm, with the imposition of ashes.
- Our February charity is Water Aid – further details can be found on our charity noticeboard.
- Coffee Morning this Saturday, from 10am-1pm, in aid of Water Aid and the Street Children in the slums of Madurai, India. Hot drinks, cake stall, book stall, Bring&Buy, and a raffle, plus some Indian dancing too – entrance only £2.00. Offers of help / contributions for stalls gratefully received (please see Elsie), and do come along with friends and family – all in a good cause!
- Canon Pat Atkinson is unable to come to St Giles on Sun 2 March, but she’ll be around at the coffee morning on Saturday, with a slide show to tell us more about her projects in India.
- The next opportunity for confirmation is in the Cathedral on Easter Eve (Sat 19 April), by the Lord Bishop of Norwich. If you are interested in confirmation, do speak to Fr. Darren asap!