The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 1st March 2015
Second Sunday of Lent
In this season of Lent as we walk with Jesus towards the cross we take time to examine our faith. What do we really believe? God is greater than our minds can fully understand, but let us open our hearts to the reality of life-giving love.
Today’s Mass includes the ministry of healing, with the anointing of oil. If you wish to receive healing for yourself or for a loved one, please go and sit in the Lady Chapel after communion. Revd Gillian Ireson will be assisting with this ministry today.
There is a retiring collection today and every Sunday during Lent to support Water Aid and the Diocesan Lent Project (see Lent leaflet). Lent is a time for almsgiving so please give generously.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. Hymns from the New English Hymnal
Introit Hymn 507 Hear us, O Lord, have mercy upon us
Gospel acclamation Praise to you O Christ, King of eternal glory.
Cantors The Lord is a great God, O that today you would listen to his voice. Harden not your hearts.
Praise to you O Christ, King of eternal glory.
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Mark
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel Mark 8:31-38
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 148 The God of Abraham praise
Communion Hymn 64 Be thou my guardian and my guide
Recessional Hymn 76 Take up thy cross, the Saviour said
Organ Voluntary Bach – Fantasia in C minor
2015 Church motto text “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” Matthew 25:40 (King James Bible)
Rector and Rural Dean of Norwich East Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) firstname.lastname@example.org (email term-time only) Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA – day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Newsletter Kate Baldry (01362 695503) – email@example.com
https://stgileschurch.wordpress.com Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1st Sue Prutton 2nd Julia de Salis
Intercessions Carole Hill Chalice David Johnson
Servers Annie Blyth and John Baldry
Churchwarden on duty Rowena Atkinson Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 3 March 12 noon Said Mass President Revd Maggie Diffey
Thursday 5 March 5pm Meditation Group in the Prayer Room
Friday 6 March 10.00am Said Mass President Fr Peter Varney
7.30pm Film Club in church
Sunday 8 March 10.30am Sung Parish Mass
Lent 3 President and Preacher Revd Gillian Ireson
Next Sunday’s readings Exodus 20:1-17; Psalm19; 1 Corinthians 1:18-25; John 2:13-22
NCCT Prayer Themes for the week ahead: St Andrew’s. Theatres and cinemas.
· Today is the deadline for those who have been asked to produce reports for the APCM 2014 booklet. If you haven’t done your report then please make sure that it is through the Rectory letterbox by 10.00am tomorrow as it goes to the printers at 11.00am. Thank you.
· Everyone is warmly invited to our Meditation Group this Thursday afternoon at 5pm – simply enter the church through the Priest’s door from 4.50 onwards. And if you’d like to know more about what the Meditation Group does, please speak to Carol Cullum.
· Please do come to Film Club this Friday – see the railings outside St Giles for details.
· Fr Darren is away next weekend. Thanks to Revd Gillian for providing cover.
· It’s not too late to join a NCCT Lent Study Group. No need to book, simply turn up for the first session. Do pick up a copy of the leaflet from the back of church. The Lent leaflet and the Parish Prayer calendar are also still available.
· Each month the PCC gives a donation to our chosen charity on behalf of us all. This month’s charity is Break Children’s Homes. Please take a look at the Charities notice board for details. If you would like to make a personal donation then do please put it in the box on the table by the display or pass it to the Treasurer. If you could Gift Aid any such donations then the charity would receive 25% more at no further cost to you.
· There is a sign-up form for the “Real Easter Egg” – a Fairtrade egg which has a colourful booklet inside telling the Easter story – this is the only egg to do this. Stocks quickly sell out so please do order within the next week or two (no need to pay yet). If you would like to change your shopping habits in favour of fairly-traded goods then please do borrow a Traidcraft catalogue (collect from the table at the back of Church and leave your order form in the tray for Kate) or look at the website and contact Kate to order.
· Do you consider yourself to be a “member” of St Giles Church? Are you on our Church Electoral Roll? If you have worshipped with us for longer than 6 months and are not on our membership list then do ask our E.R. Officer, Carole Hill for a form so that your name can be added. The deadline for new names to be added is Sunday 22nd March. If you are not sure whether you are on the list or your details have changed then do speak to Carole.
· The APCM is on Sunday 12th April at 12 noon and will be followed by a lunch at 1pm. Details about the lunch and the form to sign up on are at the back of church. Here you will also find nomination forms for the three vacancies on the PCC, for Churchwardens and Deputy Churchwardens (nominations to be received by Sunday 22nd March). If you are considering putting yourself forward for one of these posts please do speak to Fr Darren first.