The Christian Community of St Giles-on-the-Hill
welcomes you to worship with them on
Sunday 14th June 2015
Second Sunday after Trinity
Jesus affirmed that great results can grow from very small beginnings. In our worship today let us hold our own vision within the presence of God, knowing that God can induce such growth that the smallest of seeds can grow into a mighty tree.
We welcome our Archdeacon, the Venerable Jan McFarlane, who is our preacher today. It’s great to have the Archdeacon back amongst us following her illness.
Please do stay for a celebratory glass of wine so she can meet you.
10.30am Sung Eucharist The service is set out in the white service booklet. The collect and readings are to be found overleaf. The hymns are from the New English Hymnal.
Introit Hymn 495 God is working his purpose out
Gospel acclamation Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Cantors Welcome with meekness the implanted word
that has the power to save your souls.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Priest Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Mark
All Glory to you, O Lord
Gospel Mark 4:26-34
Priest This is the gospel of the Lord
All Praise to you, O Christ
Offertory Hymn 498 Son of God, eternal Saviour
Communion Hymn 353 Dear Lord and Father of mankind
Recessional Hymn 436` Praise, my soul the King of heaven
Organ Voluntary Bach – Prelude in C minor (BWV546)
Next Sunday’s readings: Job 38:1-11; Psalm 107; 2 Corinthians 6:1-13; Mark 4:35-41
Norwich East Deanery Prayer Calendar: Lakenham Group (St Alban and St Mark). Clergy: Erik West-Lindell. Readers: Alan Huggins, Richard Fincham, Paulette Yallop. Synod Rep: John Phoenix.
Organists, choirs and musicians; Bell Captains and Bell Ringers across the Deanery.
2015 Church motto text “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” Matthew 25:40 (King James Bible)
Rector and Rural Dean of Norwich East Fr. Darren Thornton (01603 623724) email@example.com (email term-time only) – Part-time – also Chaplain at UEA – day off on Monday
Churchwardens Rowena Atkinson (01603 455729) and Bob Emsell (01603 439632)
Newsletter Kate Baldry (01362 695503) – firstname.lastname@example.org
https://stgileschurch.wordpress.com Twitter @stgilesnorwich Music Reproduction Licence no.990580
ASSISTANTS AT THE EUCHARIST
Sidespersons Dorothy and Rodney Head
Readers 1st Margaret Wilkinson 2nd Ian Mayers
Intercessions Diana Lamb Chalice David Johnson
Servers John Baldry, Tracy Williams, Vikkie Shread, Annie Blyth and Susan Morris-Prosser
Churchwarden Rowena Atkinson Organist Ian Graydon
DIARY FOR THE WEEK
Tuesday 16 June 8.30am Clergy Chapter at St Stephen’s Church
12 noon Said Mass Richard, Bishop of Chichester, 1253
Thursday 18 June 5.00pm Meditation Group in the Prayer Room
Friday 19 June 10.00am Said Mass Sundar Singh of India, 1929
Saturday 20 June 10am-12noon Annual Church Spring Clean
12.30pm – 2.00pm Pilgrimage Lunch for those going to St Gilles Abbey, France at the end of the month.
Sunday 21 June Trinity 3 10.30am Sung Parish Mass President Revd Gillian Ireson Charity speaker Anne Aves – Holy Land Project (see below)
2pm – 5pm Afternoon tea at Bishop’s House for our Churchwardens
· We welcome any newcomers to our church today. Do make yourself known to the priest or the churchwardens. We are online at https://stgileschurch.wordpress.com where you can find our
picture gallery as well as past service sheets. We are also on Twitter at @stgilesnorwich
· Many thanks also to those who supported and helped at our Stalls yesterday. We hope to tell you how much was raised during the Churchwardens’ notices. We still have some items for sale, please do take a look after Mass.
· Our Meditation Group meets in the Prayer Room this Thursday at 5pm – entrance to church via the Priest’s door from 4.50 onwards. If you’re interested in coming along for the first time, do speak to Claire Vaughan-Smith or email her at email@example.com to find out more.
· On Saturday between 10 and 12 your help would be very much appreciated in church for spring-cleaning. Many hands make light work! Well-earned refreshments available!
· Next Sunday Fr Darren is away on Rural Dean duties covering the mass at St Helen’s, the Great Hospital, who are currently in a vacancy. Thanks to Revd Gillian who is covering the Mass at St Giles. We welcome back Anne Aves who is going to update us on the Fr John Aves Educational Project in the Holy Land, which is our June charity. Do have a look at the charity notice board for more information. Please do consider adding Gift Aid to any gift you are making. Thank you.
· Next Sunday there is also a Civic Service at the Cathedral at 11.00am – all welcome.
· Our next Interesting Talk will be on 25 June at 7.30pm. Dr Vic Morgan’s talk is entitled “Civic Ritual in Norwich 1560-1720”.
· Plans for the West Pottergate ‘Table Top’ event on 18th July are going well. The objective of this event is to generate a sense of community, encourage friendships and for the Parish of St Giles to embrace being part of such a wonderful and diverse area of the fine City of Norwich. Tracy and Beverley Williams are coordinating this event – contact email is: WPCommunity@mail.com
· We continue to look out for volunteers to keep the church open more. Our thanks to Jonathan Trench who has kindly done this for a number of years but feels he is now unable to do so. If anyone feels they can help then please have a chat with Churchwarden Rowena. The Deanery is about to run a training morning for those who volunteer to keep churches open. This will include guidance about good practice and will include input from the mental health charity MIND.
· Our thanks to Annie Blyth who has taken on putting an “encouraging message” on the blue noticeboard outside church – the purpose of this is to share some “Good News” with passers-by.